Three weeks after my return from my two-months-long trip through Central America, I would like to look back on the highlights of my trip.
It was not easy to compile a list of the best attractions, as the region is really diverse. Its attractions are all very different (and hence difficult to compare). Still, the following experiences are my personal Top 8 – I would not want to miss any of them:
- The absolute highlight of my stay was the Caribbean coast of Belize: Both the snorkel tour from Caye Caulker as well as the sailboat trip were truly unforgettable experiences.
- Climbing Acatenango and enjoying the view from its summit to the neighbouring (active) Fuego volcano was equally amazing.
- The last spot on the podium goes to Semana Santa in Antigua. The Easter celebrations were indeed special, and a fitting end to a great trip.
- I was also very impressed by the numerous Mayan sites – in particularTikal.
- In Semuc Champey, everything was perfect: a spectacular nature site amidst beautiful surroundings, combined with a very comfortable stay at a charming hostel – you could not wish for more!
- The Mayan artefacts and also (or even particularly?) the stunning stone formations in Actun Tunichil Muknal were another highlight in Belize.
- But gorgeous caves cannot only be found in Belize: The cenotes in Mexiko (both the ones around Valladolid as well as Dos Ojos near Tulum) were also a stunning experience.
- Finally, the hike from Xela to Lake Atitlán was quite strenuous, but gave a good impressive of the beautiful Guatemalan highlands.
Even though not a lot of Mexican places feature in this list, I still enjoyed my time there. For me, the Mayan sites were a big draw:
- My favourite site, Tikal, is in Guatemala, though. The huge temples sticking out of the jungle (and the smaller ones that are actually hidden beneath it) are simply spectacular.
- In Mexico, I enjoyed Palenque very much. It is also located amidst the (Mexican) jungle, and offers the possibility to climb almost every building, while the number of tourists is (relatively) low.
- The ruins of Uxmal with their Great Pyramid and the numerous impressive reliefs on the buildings are also one of my favourites.
All in all, I had a great time in Central America – it is really worth a visit!